POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microphones : Microphones Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:20:45 EDT (-0400)
  Microphones
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Jun 2008 14:27:31
Message: <48501913$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so here's an irritating problem...

A while back I bought an external sound card. I'm very happy with it by
the way. But then I unplugged my microphone from my PC's built-in sound
card and plugged it into the external one. I can't hear a damned thing.

"OK, so it needs a line input" I thought. So I went out and bought a
microphone preamp. And you know what?

I still can't hear anything.

To be fair, without the preamp, if I amplify the digital signal all I
get is noise. But with the amp, if you apply about 90 dB of
amplification, you can very faintly detect any loud noises made directly
in front of the mic.

Can anybody explain to me (A) why the mic is still too damned quiet, and
(B) how to make it loud enough to be useable?

[Remember, if I plug it into my motherboard sound card and turn on the
"boost mic" option, it works perfectly. But the outboard sound card has
no such option.]

Just as a point of interest... I have a knackered old mic that I got for

just fine. [Although it's still a little on the quiet side. And that mic
never did have any treble response at all.] The mic I'm trying to use
was sold as a PC microphone, and indeed if you plug it into any PC and
turn on the mic boost option, it works just dandy. [And gives a vastly
superior sound quality to my ancient mic.]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/